The antiquarian

 

 

 

  

 

   

Challinor, Taylor & Co.

1884 -1918

Tarentum Glass Co.

1893 - ?

     In 1884, two Pittsburgh area glass producers moved their works to the Tarentum area;  Challinor, Taylor and Co., and Richards and Hartley. A decade later, the Tarentum Glass Company was organized.  The Challinor, Taylor and Co. became part of the U.S. Glass Co. in 1891 and operated until 1918.

For the next 25 years, all three of these produced some of the finest tableware and pressed glassware in the world. Glassmaking was the reason for Tarentum’s rapid growth at the end of the 19th century. The entire area of Brackenridge along 6th Avenue between Mile Walk Lane and Morgan Street was lined with glassmaking facilities. A lot of the glassworkers came from Europe and some from the other glassmaking communities in the Pittsburgh area.

At Flaccus’ glass plant, glassworkers would use a glassblower’s pipe to imprint the name of a local druggist or dairy. As it was work requiring a great deal of attention to detail, Tarentum glass employed high numbers of women. In the days before child labor laws, there were a lot of young teenage boys working in the glass plants. Families needed every penny they could get. Often at the end of the day, workers would take some of their extra glass and fashion canes, and they would carry the canes proudly in Labor Day parades, which were big events of the time. These were symbols of the excellent craftsmanship of Tarentum glassmakers. There is Tarentum Glass on exhibit at the Smithsonian Museum in Washington D.C., and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. There were even more glass companies which sprang from the glass boom of the late 19th century. In 1895, Fidelity Glass, which later became Atlantic Bottling Company, began making bottles. In 1892 the Tarentum Art and Mirror Glassworks was established on West 7th Avenue near Center Street, later moving to Springdale.

   

© 2015 the antiquarian, All rights and media reserved.