Gillinder Glass aka Gillinder and Sons
1861 - 1900
Gillinder's Franklin Flint Glass Works, Philadelphia, PA. in 1861 - 1863
Gilllinder and Bennett - Philadelphia, PA., 1863 - 1867
Gilllinder and Sons - Philadelphia, PA., 1867 - 1889
Gillinder and Sons - Greensburg, PA. 1889 - 1891
Gillinder and Sons - Greensburg PA. joined United States Glass Co. 1891
Greensburg PA. renamed U.S.G.Co. "Factory G" 1893 or 1894
U.S.G.Co. - Greensburg, PA, "Factory G" (1893-94) - 1900
Gillinder and Sons sold out interests to U.S.G.Co. 1900
Gillinder and Sons Greenburg, PA.
William T. Gillinder, was born in 1823 at Gateshead near Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England. He entered the glass making trade learning how to make paperweights at George Bacchus & Sons in Birmingham, England.
Gillinder move to the USA in 1853 and worked for the New England Glass Company, in East Cambridge, Mass. making paperweights. He then move to Pittsburg PA. and then to Saint Louis MO. before settling in Philadelphia Pa. in 1861.
William Gillinder purchased the Franklin Flint Glass Works, Philadelphia, PA. in 1861. He was joined in his business by Edwin Bennett and the company changed its name to Gilllinder and Bennett in 1863.
Gillinger two sons, James and Fredrick in 1867 purchased Edwin Bennett's interests in Franklin Glass Works in Philadelphia and the company was renamed Gillinder and Sons. William Gillinder died in 1871 at the age of 48, leaving behind his wife and nine children. James 27 and Fredrick 26 his sons were much older than the other children and carried on running the company. William Gillinder's youngest son was only 7 years old. All of the children were stockholder in the company of Gillinder and Sons.
Gillinder and Sons moved their entire glass pressing operation to Greensburg PA in 1889, to capitalize on cheap fuel, Natural Gas. One would also assume that operational costs would have been much lower in a rural town, as compared to Philadelphia. The factory in Greensburg was supposed to have had a model operation which employed between 250 to 300 men. Several existing employees from the Philadelphia operation, such as John Putnam the mold foreman relocated to Greensburg, PA.
What we do not know is did Gillinder and Sons move into an existing operation? The most likely answer is yes. We see no mention of Gillinder and Sons building a new glassworks in Greensburg, PA. Did Gillinder and Sons acquire a failed business or did a group of business men build a new factory to attract Gillinder. We simply do not know at this point.
We do know that Gillinder and Sons, Greensburg PA plant joined the United States Glass company in 1891. It was renamed U.S. Glass Company, "Factory G" between 1893 and 1894. It operated as a U.S.G.Co. plant from 1891–1900. Gillinder and Sons sold out its interested in U.S.G.Co. combine. Their company's molds were latter dispersed to other U.S.G.Co. member factories. There was what we would today call, a "non-compete clause" that Gillinder and Sons not produce pressed tableware for 20 years. The glassworks appears to have been closed. Possible reused as a bottle works by Standard Glass Co.
Today there is a Gillinder Glass located in Port Jervis, NY. Their website states, "In 1912, three Gillinder brothers, grandsons of William T., purchased a glass plant in Port Jervis, formerly known as the Orange County Flint Glass Works. The plant opened as Gillinder Brothers in January 1913 and continues (now with its gift store-The Gillinder Glass Store) on this same site 102 years later." The timeline makes sense from the sale of the Greensburg, PA company. It appears the family continues in the glass business even today.
© 2015 the antiquarian, All rights and media reserved.