National Glass Company
Operation 1899 – 1907 / Bankruptcy into (1910 or 11?)
The National Glass Company was formed in July of 1899. They operated from 1899 into 1907, then went into bankruptcy. It took the bankruptcy courts into 1910 to settle the proceedings.
Some of principles involved were: Henry C. Fry, Myron Case, Andrew Heron & Addison Thompson.
As we research the National Glass Company's Plants we begin to understand why the history of these plants are so had to find. Many of companies below made fancy glass with some bottle production while other only made bottles only. The bottle manufacturers are hard to find data on.
An example of this is the Berney Glass Co., Bradford, Pennsylvania and Bond Glass Co., Hazelhurst, Pennsylvania who merged together to become Berney-Bond Glass Co. They were strictly glass bottle manufactures producing: flint, amber and green bottles. They produced Milk Bottles, Beer Bottles, Soda Bottles, Ammonia Bottles, Prescription Bottles, Juice Bottles, Carbonated Beverages Bottles, Liquors Bottles, Catsups Bottles and jars and etc. To put this in modern context; they were in a mass produced commodity business, which produced low profit margins goods. Then to this mix you must add the Great Depression, Prohibition and numerous factory fires, business consolidations and changing markets.
Supposedly there were 19 glassworks within the National Glass Company. Many were leased by National Glass Company to other companies. Below is a list of the ones we have identified so far.
National Glass Company Factory List
Beatty – Grady Glass Company
A. J. Beatty & Sons, Steubenville, OH: 1888 - 1889
A. J. Beatty & Sons, moved to Tiffin, OH: 1889 - 1898
Merged with United States Glass Co.: 1892
Beatty – Grady Glass Company took over Steubenville Plant: 1888 - 1897
Beatty – Grady Glass Company, move to Dunkirk, IN: (Jan) 1899
National Glass Company, Dunkirk, IN: (Nov) 1899 -
N.G.C. Operates as factory #1 (Beatty-Brady Glass Works): 1899 - 1904
Factory lease out by N.G.C, operating as the Indiana Glass Company: 1904 - 1907
N.G.C. formally placed into receivership: 1907
Indiana Glass Company purchase plant: 1908 - 1957
Lancaster Glass Corporation purchased the Indiana Glass Co. 1957
Berney-Bond Glass Co. (After merger five plants)
(Two Preceding Companies Merged)
(Predecessors) Seamless Bottle Co. plant in Bradford, Pa.: 1895 - 1900
Berney Glass Co., Bradford, Pa: (former Seamless Bottle Co.): 1900 - 1907
This plant appeared on National Glass Co. budget in 1901 & 1902: 1901 - 19??
Berney Glass Co. merged with Bond Glass Co.: 1904
(Predecessors) Bond Bottle Co.: 1901 - 1902
Bond Glass Co., Hazelhurst, Pa (former bond Bottle Co): 1902 - 1904
Bond Glass Co. merged with Berney Glass Co.: 1904
Berney-Bond Glass Co. (after Merger): 1904 - 1930
Bradford, Pa. the former (Berney Glass Co.) 1904 - 1910
Hazelhurst, Pa. the former (Bond Glass Co.) 1904 - 1928
This plant was on National Glass Co. Budget in 1907: 1907 - 19??
Smethport, PA. the former (Haines Flint Bottle Co.) 1907 - 1918
Clarion, Pa. the former (Pearl Glass Co.) 1912 - Present
Columbus, Oh. the former (Winslow Glass Co.) 1927 - 1948
Note to reader, if two of five of the Berney-Bond Glass Co. plants were part of National Glass Co. most likely they all were.
Canton Glass Company
Canton Glass Company, Canton, OH: 1883 - 1899
Nation Glass Company, Canton, OH: 1899 - 1903
Canton Glass Company Marion, IN: 1903 - 1958
Canton Glass Company Hartford City, IN: 1958 - 1959
Cambridge Glass Co.
Cambridge Glass Co., Cambridge, OH: 1901 - 1955
National Glass built the plant and leased it to Cambridge who ran it. 1901 - 1907
Cambridge purchased the plant out of Bankruptcy in: 1910 - 1955
Company acquired by Morrison Industries Inc., of Cleveland, Ohio: 1956 - 1958
Muhleman's Crystal Glass Company
Muhleman's Crystal Glass, Bellaire, OH: 18?? - 1901
Sold to National Glass Co. 1901 - 190?
Muhleman they formed the Imperial Glass Co. 1901
Elson Glass, Martins Ferry, Ohio: 1882 - 1893
Reorganized into West Virginia Glass Company: 1893 - 1896
Reorganization, again into West Virginia Glass Mfg. Co.: 1896 - 1900
It joined the National Glass Co.: 1900 - 1901
Plant was operated by Crystal Glass Company: 1901 - 1903
H. C. Fry Glass Company
Henry C. Fry Glass Co, Rochester, Pa: 1901 - 1933
Henry C. Fry was a founder and president of the National Glass Co. cartel so his company would have belonged but the years are unknown. Assuming 1901 - 1907
H. C. Fry Glass Co. in receivership first time: 1926
H. C. Fry Glass Co. In receivership second time: 1933
H. C, Fry Glass Co. building sold to Libbey Co. 1933
Libbey Co. Operated plant: 1933 - 1936
Beaver Valley Works sold to private concern. 1936
Indiana Glass Company
Indiana Glass Company, Indiana PA: 1892 - 1894
Leased by H. Northwood: 1896 - 1903
National Glass Company: 1904 - 1909
Dugan Glass Company: 1913 - 1913
Diamond Glass Company: 1913 - 1931
Indiana Tumbler & Goblet Company
Indiana Tumbler & Goblet Company, Greentown, IN: 1894 - 1899
National Glass Company, Greentown, IN: 1899 - 1903
S. McKee & Company, Pittsburgh, PA: 1834 - 1908
McKee Glass Company, Pittsburgh, PA 1854 - 1867
Name change to McKee & Brothers in 1867 - 1888
McKee & Bothers moved to Jeannette, PA: 1888 - 1889
National Glass Company ran as McKee Glass: 1899 - 1903
McKee-Jeannette Glass Company 1904 - 1908
Name change to McKee Glass company: 1908 - 1951
McKee Division of the Thatcher Glass Co.: 1951 - 1961
Jeannette Corporation: 1961 - 1983
Model Flint Glass Company
Model Flint Glass Company, Findlay, OH: 1888 - 1893
Model Flint Glass Company, Albany, IN: 1893 - 1899
National Glass Company, Albany, IN: 1899 - 1902
National Glass Works / Rodefer Brothers
National Glass Works, So. Bellaire, OH: 1869 - 1877
Rodefer Brothers, purchased fail N.G.W. in Bellaire, OH: 1878 - 1898
T.A. Roderfer, Bellaire, OH: 1898 - 1903
Joined National Glass Co. Combine as Rodefer Glass, Bellaire, OH: 1903 - 1911
Rodefer Glass, Bellaire, OH: 1913 - 1964
Roderfer-Gleason Glass Co., Bellaire, OH: 1964 - 1984
Ohio Flint Glass Company
Ohio Flint Glass Company, Bowling Green, OH. Factory destroyed by fire: 1893 - 1899
Ohio Flint Glass Company, Lancaster, OH. became part of N.G.C.: 1899 - 1908
Reopened as Lancaster Glass Company: 1910 - 1937 Became part of Hocking Glass Corp.
© 2015 the antiquarian, All rights and media reserved.