Zadler Glassworks - ca.1568
Below are excerpts for the von Poschinger website.
The Glassworks History:
“On July 10, 1568, Joachim Poschinger resigned from the position of burggrave in order to acquire the Zadler glass works estate near Frauenau. According to the fiefdom succession deed, the glass making estate seems to have been quite rundown, however, Joachim Poschinger had the task of “turning things around and to usefully and provisionally rebuild and improve the premises”. Joachim Poschinger was so successful in operating the Zadler glass works that he was able to build a second glass works in 1582. There, mirror and window glass as well as hollow glass and glass lenses for eyeglasses were produced. In 1587, Joachim Poschinger divided the estate amongst his two sons, Hans and Paulus – which marked the beginning of the Poschinger family tradition as the owners of glass works and land owners which still continues today."
The von Poschinger Family History:
"In 1547, Duke Albrecht V, conferred the Poschinger family a coat of arms which is still used today. The 450 year history of the Poschinger family, the glassworks and the land owners in the Bavarian Forest began in 1568, when Joschim Poschinger acquired the Zadler glass making estate. The Glassworks in Franuenau and the further lands belonging to this estate, namely the Estate Oberfrauenau, were purchased in 1605. In the course of the centuries since then, the family has operated the glass works in the towns of Spiegelhuett, Buchenau, Oberzwieselau and Theresienthal. Only the glassworks in Frauenau has remained in existence as the last of its kind. It is the oldest glassworks in Germany with the longest family tradition in the world."
“In the eras of Classicism and Art nouveau, glass produced in the Bavarian Forest attained worldwide renown. Renowned artists and designers such as Jean Beck, Peter Behrens, Joseph Maria Olbrich, Hans Christiansen, Georg Karl von Reichenbach, Richard Riemerschmid and Karl Schmoll von Eisenwerth all worked for the Poschinger family. Together with the best glass makers of the factory, they created the glass objects of the finest quality. Poschinger glassware was used on the zeppelins and the ocean liners and, as well, adorns the dining tables of European kings and princes. The family was a purveyor to the courts of the Bavarian and French kings and even the tsar in St. Petersburg enjoyed the exquisite drinking glasses made in the Bavarian Forest.”
“Numerous international awards have also contributed to the international renown and reputation of Poschinger glassware. The Art nouveau vases from Frauenau were awarded the gold medal at the World Exposition in Paris in 1900. Today, beside Tiffany, Loetz and Gallé, Poschinger still enjoys the best reputation worldwide for Art nouveau glassware. It is highly valued and esteemed at international art auctions, in museums and amongst collectors.”
von Poschinger Glass
Below is a rose bowl manufacture by von Poschiner and it has a rare "M Crimp". Only three companies produced "M Crimps": they were Harrach, Loetz and von Poschinger.
From the Passau Museum and a Rare "M Crimp" Rose Bowl.
Photos Courtesy of Norma Naber's Collection
© 2015 the antiquarian, All rights and media reserved