Panels, Circa 1899. This
pattern was produced by Northwood Glass Company at Indiana, PA
in addition, it was also produced by Bastow Glass Co., in
Coudersport, PA Cir. 1903-1904 where its pattern name was Shadow.
National Glass Co.
purchased the Indiana, PA. site from Harry Northwood and operated it
from 1900-1904. National also acquired all of the old Northwood,
Indiana, PA molds at that time. Dugan Glass Co. operated the site
from 1904-1913, again with some of Northwood molds. The Diamond
Glass Co. continued to operate the site from 1913 to 1931 when the
This pattern may also have been
produced by National Glass Co. or even Jefferson Glass Company before
it was produced at Coudersport. Harry Bastow was a long-time
employee of the Northwood Co. in Indiana, PA. He became the Plant
Superintendent of the National Glass Co., Northwood Works, when National
took over the site. He left National in 1900 to become President
of the newly formed Jefferson Glass Co. In 1903, Harry left
Jefferson to establish Bastow Glass Co. in Coudersport, PA.
The writer's speculation is that the
molds left with Harry Bastow when he left Indiana, PA. He may
have designed the molds and owned them outright or purchased them from
National or possibly Dugan. National and / or Jefferson may or may
not have used the molds. However, they were used by the Bastow
Glass Co. in Coudersport, PA. in 1903 or 1904 in addition to their
earlier Northwood's use.
The Coudersport plant was destroyed
by fire in 1904. The molds were probable destroyed in that fire.
This would explain why this pattern was never made in carnival glass.
Colors: White (Clear), Blue &
Canary (Vaseline) with Opalescent.
same pattern different name. Shadow was also made at Coudersport, PA by
Bastow Glass Co.
Co. Colors: White (Clear), Blue & Canary (Vaseline) with Opalescent.
In Coudersport transparent Green without the addition of opalescent
glass was also manufactured
The Antiquarian Collection
Click on Image below to