The antiquarian

 

 

   

Stuart & Sons

Red House Glassworks – Stuart and Sons, 1883 - 1936
 

Machine Threaded Glass rose bowls


On April 29, 1881, Frederick Stuart leased the Red House Glassworks. In 1883, he formed a partnership with William Henry Stuart, Frederick Stuart Jr., Robert Stuart, Arthur Stuart and George Stuart. He also made allowances for his son Walter Mansfield Stuart.
In December of 1885, William George Webb and Edward Webb renewed the lease of Red House Glassworks with Stuart & Sons.

In 1897, Frederick Stuart, then 82, retired. He was paid 10% interest per year of the balance due his buyout. The new partners were William Henry Stuart, Frederick Stuart, Jr., Robert Stuart, Walter Mansfield Stuart and Samuel Mansfield Stuart and allowances were made for William Henry Stuart’s son Charles. Arthur and George Stuart (brothers) had died.

In 1911, Stuart & Sons was incorporated as a limited company. The outbreak of the First World War stopped any additional advancement in glassmaking.


In 1936, the furnace was allowed to go cold ending glass production for the final time at Red House Glassworks. Stuart & Sons transferred all work to a new factory built at the old White House Glassworks.

In 1966, Stuart & Sons Ltd. opened a new factory at Aberbargoed in South Wales.
In 1995, Stuart Strathearn became the target of a takeover by Waterford Wedgwood. Waterford succeeded in their takeover bid. Due to the foreign competition and the high value of the pound, all glass production ceased in 2001 with over a hundred employees losing their jobs. The following year the cutting and polishing shops closed. 

 

Machine Threaded Glass rose bowls

Below is a Stuart & Son, C. 1880 rose bowl.  It is machine threaded with 8 crimps pushed inward.  It has clear glass threading over a pale yellow glass.  It has 3 applied legs and a clear raspberry prunt.  Dim 2.75" H x 4.0 " W.   

 

   

 

Below is a Stuart & Son, C. 1880 rose bowl.  It is machine threaded with 10 crimps pushed outward.  It has pink glass threading over citron yellow glass.  It has 3 applied legs and a clear raspberry prunt. 

 

© 2015 the antiquarian, All rights and media reserved.